Sunday, June 17, 2012

Skull Mask

I had the idea of making a mask that would be reminiscent of a human skull. Below is my first sketch.
First sketch of skull mask

I had already made up some eyecages, similar to the ones used in the Ragnarok mask, only larger, and I decided to use them for this mask.
First idea translated into clay
I wasn't sure at this point how I would make the teeth, but I was thinking of fabricating the part out of acrylic sheet and then casting it in cold cast aluminum, to match the eyecages.
Dog muzzle
After further consideration, I decided to look through my many boxes of yard sales finds, in the hopes of encountering a part already made that could be adapted to the teeth. When I came across the dog muzzle I realized I could dip it in wax to thicken up the wires, and give it a similar look to the eyecages.
Pot of melted wax

Muzzle after being dipped in wax
I heated the wax to around 220° F and dipped the wire muzzle into the molten wax, and let it cool down. Dipping it two more times gave it a nice thickness.
Muzzle casting
After molding it in silicone RTV rubber, I cast just the top part of the muzzle in urethane resin.
Muzzle casting in mounting base
Then I scanned the bottom of the casting, and laser cut several pieces of sheet acrylic to match. I used epoxy to stick all the pieces together, and filled in the hollows with modeling clay.
Clay sculpt with eyecages and muzzle
I remolded the muzzle, and cast the finished part in a pink urethane resin, suitable for sculpting the final clay shape. Once I am satisfied with the shape of the clay I will take a pattern from it and then make the mask out of leather. It bears little resemblance to a skull now, but I am liking the look and am tentatively calling it "Uncle Charlie".

3 comments:

  1. Cool! Love it.. can't wait to see the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Charlie is looking grand. Love the use of the dog muzzle. A dog-faced Anubis mask in the works, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your prototype is very forward and outgoing...almost disturbing...and therefor exciting! Looking forward to watching this evolve...

    ReplyDelete