Monday, September 6, 2010

Olifant: Neoprene Trunk Hose

The second batch of black neoprene arrived safely, and so I proceeded to build the plaster mold.


First I softened plasticine in the microwave, then built it up around my model. I leveled it out right at midline, and I poured the first half of the mold in plaster.


After curing I removed the plasticine and poured the second half. After letting the mold halves dry for a couple of days I held them together with large rubber bands, and filled the cavity with the liquid neoprene. The plaster absorbed moisture from the rubber and a thin wall of solid material built up.


I emptied out the liquid neoprene and let the casting dry overnight before removing it from the mold. Here I am preparing for the final assembly, with the neoprene hose connecting the leather mask and the pressure gauge.

3 comments:

  1. I'm amazed at your processes of building the masks, and very appreciative that you take the time to show us how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you cast something like this, do you cast it with a hollow inside, or is it completely solid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hollow. The neoprene dries from the outside in, so after letting it dwell I pour out the liquid rubber in the middle, leaving it hollow.

    ReplyDelete